Saturday, June 25, 2011

Are You a Runner?

"Man imposes his own limitations, don't set any"
-Anthony Bailey


When talking with friends, family and strangers alike it comes up in conversation that I enjoy running.  Sometimes I get some responses like "more power to you" or "wow, I wish I could run!"  When someone says the latter, it makes me a little sad inside.  I usually respond by saying "You can! You can run!" and they just look at me like I'm crazy.

You Can!
To start this off, I have a question for you.  Have you ever put on some shoes and started moving from point A to point B with only your body?  Then you have probably ran!  Because the only thing in my opinion that differentiate running and walking  is that when you're running both feet shouldn't be on the ground. 


Yes, I realize that the question seems goofy, but that's how I feel when someone says they can't run.  I understand that some people don't want to run, but to say you can't is giving up before even trying.  So that leads me to my next point...

Try It!
The hardest part is just getting up and doing it, for anyone.  Writing down a schedule of distances to run, or an amount of time to alternate running/walking.  If its your first time ever any shoes will do, but if you decide that you love it you will probably want to invest in some good running shoes.  If you think about it the only real gear you need as a runner are your shoes so don't neglect them!

If you feel awkward or self conscious while running, don't!  Have fun while you do it and just remember that people can look at you while you're running and stare but guess what, they are not the ones running, you are!

Some Things To Remember:
For this section I am just going to post a couple of bullets that help me get going when I think its hard.
- Just keep going.
- If you don't try, you will never know.
- Walking is OKAY!
- Just do your thing!

So if you want to run, or have never tried running before, try it!  I bet you will love it.  I know it will be hard to get going, but once you get past the first month of steady running it becomes an amazing thing!

Brett

No comments:

Post a Comment