Thursday, July 7, 2011

Kids Say the Darnedest Things!

Sadly I missed running yesterday between work, driving and just being tired!  I figured my body was telling me I needed to take it easy and rest when I was yawning at 7:30.  But today was a good day to run!

I hung out with my girlfriend, Haley, for the majority of the day eating lunch and watching Battle Los Angeles.  It was actually a pretty entertaining movie if you ask me.  But then once the sun started to go down I changed into some shorts, strapped on my shoes and took off for a 4 mile run.

The Run
I was worried that I would still feel a little dead legged but I was happily surprised to find that my legs felt strong and I was able to keep a steady, even increasing, pace as I ran through my neighborhood.  This is my first really "feel good" run over 3 miles.  Don't get me wrong, I love all my other runs that are over 3 miles, but today's felt like I am actually making progress because I know that a month ago I would have been huffing and puffing and crawling at the end.  On the start of the third mile I passed some kids playing in their front yard and the little girl yelled "Hi!" and waved, then her brother turns to her and asks "why is he running?" in which she replied "beats me!"  Ahh, that made me smile and I think helped keep me going strong for the second half of the run!

Now I am down to 3 days until my training starts.  The first weeks long run is 8 miles!  Yikes!  I think that if it turns out the Intermediate I training plan is too much for me I will bump down to the Novice II and try that out.  I want to train hard but I don't want to do something that is impossible for me quite yet.  I do love to run longer and farther though so maybe this will help push me in the right direction!

Questions
- Why do you run? Fitness, competition, bored, some other reason?
- What shoe brand do you prefer?

Brett

5 comments:

  1. Yay for making progress on the running - that's what it's all about! :)

    I run because it makes me a better me. Sounds corny, I know, but I just feel complete when I can run well. Being on the injured reserve list for over a year, I can't tell you how moody and cranky I got - bleh!

    I've tried about every shoe out there. In my return back to running a couple months ago, I was told I needed a more minimalist shoe and I have covered about every single one of them out there :). My favorites though are the Saucony Kinvaras and the Nike Free V3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are seeing progress! And sometimes I ask myself that same question and I come up with the same answer...beats me. But I do it anyway.

    I run because it keeps me in shape and keeps me sane!

    And I love my Saucony Rides. I have worn them since I started running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once passed a kid playing outside who asked me my name. I told him and asked him what his name was. He said "Big Bird."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't actually do this, of course, but it would have been funny if you'd said to the kids "I'm running from the monsters that are chasing me."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill - I know how hard it is to not run when you really really want to! And I also switched over to the minimalist shoes after my return as well, I kept getting injured with other shoes.

    Candice - Ahh yeah, it keeps me sane too! I get antsy when I am not out there running. I think I really am addicted, I need to run at least once a day haha

    Jeff - One word. Awesome.

    Brian - Haha yeah that would have been a good one, but I think they might become too scared!

    ReplyDelete